Evandale, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting (8159)
Year Built: 1839
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Last Updated: 13/05/2021
History and Architecture:
The Scottish Community of Evandale had raised funds for the building of a Kirk (Church) and along with a grant from the Government this enabled the laying of a foundation stone in 1838 by the Governor, Sir John Franklin and from this the Kirk (Church) became a reality with the dedication of St. Andrews on 5th September 1840.
The church has appeared in many books dealing with the romance of Architecture in Tasmania. The manse was finished soon afterwards, but unfortunatly no one knows who the architect was who designed it. The opening service was conducted by the Rev. John Lillie on a day of constant rain. "It literally poured the whole day, Mr. Russel wrote to tell his brother George.
No architect has been identified and the finished structure is no like any other building in the Australian colonies. The form of the building echoes that of a Roman temple. It features sturdy Doric columns and a central bell tower. For a complete description click here.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1838 - 1873||Rev Robert Russell||1808||1877|
|1874 - 1880||Rev Robert Smith Duff||1917|
|1880 - 1911||Rev James Russell|
|1911 - 1921||Rev W Mabin|
|1921 - 1924||Rev George E Harrison|
|1926 - 1944||Rev W Fraser|
|1944 - 1949||Rev L O.C. White|
|1949 - 1960||Rev J Henderson|
|1963 -||Rev T J. Griffiths B.A.|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. St Andrew's Presbyterian Church Evandale Tasmania, 1838 - 1964. LSC P 285.09946 VON.