Ferntree Gully, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: John

Address: 19 Forest Raod, Ferntree Gully, Victoria, 3156

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people

Last Updated: 15/08/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)


History and Architecture:

The first Catholic church in the Gully was completed in 1890. The simple wooden building was erected on the south side of Main Road (now Burwood Highway, where Woolworth’s service station now stands). The land was donated by John Buckley and the building was erected by Thomas Jones at a cost of 200 pounds.

In 1911 saw the establishment of St John the Baptist parish, Ferntree Gully. In 1925 Irish pioneer John Buckley donated six acres of land in Forest Road.

In 1926 a new red brick church was built on the site of the present church.

A full history can be seen on the church website here.

Clergy:

These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1910 - 1912 Father T. Lynch Locum
1912 - 1913 Father T. U. O'Sullivan
1913 - 1919 Father John A. O'Brien
1919 - 1926 Father T. J. Little
1926 - Father Timothy McCarthy 1973
1939 - Father T. Flynn Asst 39 - 44
1944 - Father Francis Harman Asst 2000
1944 - 1948 Father G. O'Callaghan
1948 - 1954 Father J. Phelan
1954 - 1956 Father Kevin Quinlan 1984
1956 - 1960 Father Francis Casamento
1960 - 1979 Father A. Sheehan 2003
1969 - Father Conleith Cummings 1980
1979 - 1997 Father William Bainbridge 2003
1993 - Father J. Petrulis Asst
1993 - Father Eugine Fernandez Asst
2000 - 2005 Father Des Moloney
2005 - Father Alan Fox
2019 - Father Thomas Kuruvilla

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Church website. For full history click here.
2. Deceased Clergy in Australia, 1788-present