Fitzroy, VIC - St Mark's Anglican
Year Built: 1853
Address: Corner George & Moore Streets, Fitzroy, Victoria, 3065
Architect: James Blackburn
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 24/03/2023
History and Architecture:
Built in 1853 of blue stone, the foundation stone was laid on 1 July 1853. Richard Grice, the generous pastoralist and philanthropist, contributed almost all the cost of its construction. The architect was James Blackburn. An L Terry supervised the erection of stairs and the completion of the gallery in 1865 while the spire and tower were added in 1876 by the architect C Webb.
The church was consecrated in January 1863, and the gallery and stairs on the east side were completed in 1865.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1885 - 1892||Rev John Francis Stretch||1855||1919|
|1887 - 1887||Rev Alexander Campbell Yorke||Asst Curate||1852||1925|
|1887 - 1893||Rev Ernest Selwyn Hughes||Curate||1860||1942|
|1892 - 1896||Rev James Barley Sharp||1854||1921|
|1896 - 1900||Rev William Hancock||1863||1955|
|1900 - 1910||Rev Frederick Evelyn Sturt Snodgrass||1866||1929|
|1905 - 1908||Rev William Burvill||Reader 05||1879||1965|
|1907 - 1913||Rev Walter Fielder||Locum||1855||1913|
|1910 - 1922||Rev Arthur Joseph Drewett||1853||1923|
|1922 - 1942||Rev Reginald Gordon Nichols||1888||1960|
|1923 - 1924||Rev Henry August Wittenbach||Curate||1900||1989|
|1926 - 1927||Rev George Brammall||Curate||1876||1941|
|1929 - 1930||Rev Frederick Augustus Kennan||Curate||1888||1954|
|1929 - 1931||Rev Harold Owen Watson||Curate||1882||1946|
|1934 - 1936||Rev William Roger Tyler||Curate||1899||1969|
|1934 - 1936||Rev Mervyn Wellesley Britten||Curate||1904||1961|
|1939 - 1939||Rev Andrew Gosse Hay||Curate||1909||1974|
|1943 - 1947||Rev Claude Woodhouse||1900||1984|
|1947 - 1952||Rev Noel Arthur Tolhurst||1896||1967|
|1962 - 1965||Rev William James Clayden||1903||1995|
|1973 - 1975||Rev M. F. King|
|1995 - 1997||Rev P.N. McLeod Miller||Asst|
|1980 - 1984||Rev David George Peake|
|1994 - 1995||Rev Brett George Williams||Asst C||1965|
The Church has had four Organs. The present Organ was buikt by Harrison & Harrison of Durham UK in 1938, for St Luke's Church, Cowley, Oxfordshire. It was restored & installed in this location in 1999 by Peter D.G. Jewkes Pty Ltd of Sydney. It has 2 manuals, 14 speaking stops, 4 couplers, with tubular-pneumatic action.
A complete history of the Organ can be seen here.
1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.
2. Cable Clerical Index with permission.