Footscray, VIC - St Monica's Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Monica

Address: 2 Wingfield Sreet, Footscay, Victoria, 3011

Architect: T.A. Kelly

Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung & Bunurong people

Last Updated: 11/09/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

The Rev. Dr. McGillicuddy decided a suitable church should be built. So, on 5th July, 1873 was laid the foundation of the present Church performed by Dr. Goold. Mass was celebrated in a tent near by. The church is Fourteenth Century Gothic with a nave 63 ft. by 28 ft. Chancel 18 ft. square with a proposed 108ft spire (never built). Church to be of bluestone with dressings of Geelong freestone. It is proposed to erect at present two bays chacry vestry at a cost of 200. The architect was T.A. Kelly Elizabeth Street and the builders were Hopkins and Goss. It was completed in 1885.

A wall plaque reads,
St Monica’s Church although not documented, tradition has it that in the late 1840's a tent was set up near the river and used as a school for the catholic children of the district. Father Ggeoghegan and Archdeacon Downing also celebrated mass there.
27. 12. 1852 this land was—temporarily" reserved for a church, clergymans' residence and school.
28. 10. 1862 the land was permanently reserved.
5. 7. 1873 foundation stone of first stage of church laid by Dr. Goold.
3. 5. 1874 first mass celebrated by Fr. mc Gillicuddy.
12. 12.1885 Dr. Goold blessed the completed second stage of the church.
25. 3. 1890 St. Monica's made a mission separate from Williamstown.
16. 11. 1950 Dr. Mannix consecrated the church and marble altar.
In 1964 the sacristy was extended; and the church was renovated and remodelled in 1977.


These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1852 - Fathe Geoghan
1907 - 1912 Father Murphy
1908 - 1911 Father Manly
1912 - 1915 Father McCarthy
1919 - 1920 Father Carney
1920 - 1924 Father Victor P. Hoy 1929
1964 - 1976 Father Joseph William Kelly 1918 1989
2022 - Father Philip Le van Son


The Organ was built by Robert Mackenzie 1870s (on stylistic evidence) for unknown location, possibly the Unitarian Church, East Melbourne. Installed after 1900 present location on west gallery. It was restored by George Fincham & Sons c.1977. Casework altered by Michel Alcouffe 1 manual, 7 speaking stops, 1 coupler, mechanical action.

A full description can be seen here.


1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.
2. History of St Monica'a RC Church by Seymour Armstrong. LTP 282.94511 F73A