Gawler, SA - St George's Anglican (30179)

Year Built: 1858

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: George

Address: Orleana Square, Gawler, South Australia, 5118

Last Updated: 10/10/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The Church was built where Colonel Light had planned. The first part of the church (the nave) was built in 1858-64. In 1885 the transept and chancel were added and the tower was finally erected in 1908, with the bells being installed in 1921.

One of the largest parish churches in South Australia constructed of roughly coursed bluestone with sandstone dressings to strings, quoins surrounds and openings. Detailing and craftsmanship of high quality. Buttressed tower of three stages, uppermost, a belfry with triple openings and Gothic arcading above is topped by crenellate parapet. Feature of interior design and execution of trusses variety of hammer-beam design.

The Tower was added in 1908.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1846 - 1896 Rev W. H. Coombs
1896 - 1904 Rev John Lumsdon
1885 - Rev Charles Saultmarsh Beaumont 1861 1936
1894 - Rev Arthur Kent Chignell 1870 1951
1897 - Rev W. J. Bussell
1904 - 1906 Rev C. E Doudney
1907 - 1925 Rev S T.C. Best
1908 - Rev Reginald Arthur Adams Rural Dean 1864 1939
1926 - 1930 Rev T P Wood
1930 - 1936 Rev Henry Edward Stafford Dyson 1880 1958
1933 - 1934 Rev R. A. Cambell
1936 - 1942 Rev John Leslie Bond 1893 1977
1942 - 1944 Rev E. A. Burden
1945 - Rev H B Wilson
1951 - 1957 Rev J. R Belby
1978 - 1980 Rev N A. Connell
1994 - 1998 Rev I. J. McDowell

Organ:

The Church's first organ was a barrel organ built in 1853 by J.W. Walker of London. The second organ is now in a private residence in Canberra. The current organ was built in 1888 by W.G. Vowles of Bristol for St Matthias', Broadweir, Bristol. It was subsequently moved to St Jude's, Bristol, overhauled by Rushworth & Draper 1970 and imported and installed in 1986.

Source:

1. St Georges Centenary Celebrations 1847 - 1947 Souvenir Programme.
2. The Australian Anglican Directory 2000.