Geelong, VIC - Christ Church Anglican
Year Built: 1843
Architect: Edmund Blacket
Traditional Owners: Wadawurrung people
Last Updated: 04/10/2023
History and Architecture:
The oldest Anglican church in Victoria. The Foundation stone was laid on 7 October 1843 by Willian Grant Broughton first Bishop of Australia.
A simple Gothic style parish Church dating from 1847, has been described as; the oldest in Victoria in continuous use; and one which is associated with the earliest history of the Anglican Church in Victoria. Although the Church was never completed entirely to his design and then subsequently altered, it is one of the first works in Australia of the celebrated New South Wales ecclesiastical architect, Edmund Thomas Blacket. The imported stain glass windows are a special feature of the interior.
The Architect was EdmundT. Blacket of Sydney. The Church was opened 27 June 1847.
The exterior fabric of Christ Church, Geelong, is essentially intact. Coloured cement render has been extensively used to repair parts of the defective Barrabool masonry, including the tower. The interior has been altered.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1853 - 1854||Rev T. C.B. Stretch|
|1854 - 1906||Rev George Goodman|
|1895 - 1896||Rev Walter Ralph Cooling||Curate||1868||1943|
|1906 - 1907||Rev Clifford Harris Nash||1866||1958|
|1909 - 1910||Rev Joseph Hollins Allen||Curate||1885||1971|
|1908 - 1914||Rev Frederick William Robert Newton||1879||1916|
|1914 - 1918||Rev H. S. Hollow||1873||1938|
|1918 - 1922||Rev Charles Kingsley Cole||1865||1943|
|1922 - 1932||Rev E. Schweiger|
|1932 - 1942||Rev Denis Murrell Deasey||1877||1942|
|1942 - 1946||Rev Reginald Douglas Peatt||1891||1946|
|1946 - 1956||Rev William Clinch||1894||1961|
|1954 - 1958||Rev Lindsay Young Pace|
|1956 - 1960||Rev Arthur John Wagstaff||1912||1972|
|1959 - 1960||Rev John Geoffrey Wight||PiC|
|1960 - 1964||Rev James Newton Bagnall||1915||2006|
|1964 - 1976||Rev Herbert Edmund Fawell||1907||1982|
|1977 - 1983||Rev Henry Hugh Girvan||1919|
|1983 - 1992||Rev M. Barry Smith|
|1993 - 2005||Rev Andrew Oddy|
|2005 - 2006||Rev John St Q Howells||Locum|
|2006 - 2010||Rev Derek M. Jones|
|2010 - 2011||Rev John St Q Howells|
|2011 - 2021||Rev Russell Trickey|
The first Organ, see: Wangaratta Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral. The present Organ was built in 1864 by John Courcelle of London. It was rebuilt in 1962 b by Hill, Norman & Beard. It has 2m, 31spst, 9c, elpn. Gt: 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.2-2/3.2.1-3/5.III. Sw: 188.8.131.52.4.2.III.16.8. Ped: 184.108.40.206-2/220.127.116.11-1/3.4.II.16
1. Phillip Swain for Church Photo's
1. Anglicans in Geelong 1842 - 1990 293.945 ROBN
2. Church website. Click here for further history.
3. Cable Clerical Index.
4. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.