Geelong, VIC - Church of Christ (20416)

Year Built: 1850

Denomination: Church of Christ

Address: 275 La Trobe Terrace, Geelong, Victoria, 3220

Last Updated: 12/05/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

The Free Church of England was formed in the early 1850s by the Reverend G Brough, as a local breakaway group from the Anglican Church in Australia. The church was closed in 1875 and reopened for a short time in 1884.

In 1914 the Church of Christ acquired this unusually designed early English Gothic Church, with the most distinctive side gables and short tower and spire. The Church has interesting associations with the history of the Anglican congregations in Australia and is a notable work of prolific mid Victorian architects, Backhouse and Reynolds.

The foundation stone was laid on 29 September 1858. The celebrated architectural partnership of Backhouse and Reynolds designed this early English Gothic Church and stone masons, Fullager, Hagery and Company erected this bluestone structure in squared, random coursed rubble.

The building is of interest for the narrow transverse gables of the nave and their thin lancet windows, and the diminutive slate-covered broach spire.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1841 - 1845 Rev Charles Sladen
1845 - 1853 Rev Ebenezer Collins
1853 - 1855 Rev Theodore C.B. Stretch
1855 - Rev Canon George Goodman
2011 - Father Russell Trickey

Organ:

The Organ was built in 1858 by John Courcelle, of London. Inside the bellows and slider chest is the inscribtion "Hunter & Webb 1858". It was restored in 1998 by George Fincham & Sons.

Contributions:

Denis Binnion photo 2020