Geelong, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting (20420)

Denomination: Uniting

Saint: Andrew

Address: Corner Sydney Parade & Sydney Avenue, Geelong, Victoria, 3220

Previous Denomination: Presbyterian

Last Updated: 08/01/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. St. Andrew’s was the first Presbyterian Church in the Western District of Victoria with its minister, the Reverend Andrew Love, being the first resident Minister in Geelong.

On 24 August 1839, a public meeting of the subscribers to a proposed Presbyterian church and minister’s dwelling in Geelong was held to formalise the constitution of a church and prepare a call for a minister.

A site for the buildings ‘on the crest of the Yarra Street hill’ was approved by the Governor-in-Council and, with plans and tenders already in hand.

The foundation stone was laid by Dr. Thomson on 22 March 1941.  The site in Yarra Street was between McKillop Street and Little Myers Street, with the church facing Yarra Street, the manse (1840) in McKillop Street (now the site of the Miller Homes), a school (opened 1850) on the corner of Little Myers Street and the Sabbath School next to the church on the site now occupied by the ambulance station.  

The church was simple Georgian in style, rectangular in plan with a small entry porch and made of locally manufactured bricks.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1840 - 1867 Rev Andrew Low

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Church Website. Click here to read the full history.