Gladstone, QLD - Presbyterian
Year Built: 1955
Traditional Owners: Bailai, Gurang, Gooreng Gooreng, Taribelang Bunda people
Last Updated: 10/11/2022
History and Architecture:
Construction on a meeting place in the heart of Gladstone began in 1867, and the original foundation stone is still there today. This building was destroyed by a cyclone in March 1949. We rebuilt on the same site and the current building was finished in 1956.
A Foundation stone reads, " AD 1867 This is the Foundation stone of the first Church on this site destroyed by cyclone on 2nd March 1949". A further Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God and in memory of those who died in defence of our country in three wars (World Wars 1, 2 and Korea) - This stone was laid by His Excellency the Governor Lt Gen Sir John D. Laverack KCMG KCVO KBE CB DSO - 19th September 1955. Jas Crawford Session Clerk Rev A.W. Laurie Minister".
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1866 - 1873||Rev Alexander Proudfoot|
|1874 - 1877||Rev Adam A. Laing|
|1885 - 1888||Rev W. D. Meiklejohn|
|1889 - 1898||Rev Stewart Byron|
|1899 - 1906||Rev A. Wilson|
|1914 - 1921||Rev William H. Smith|
|1921 - 1924||Rev J. B. Thorn|
|1929 - 1941||Rev A. M. MacCallster|
|1942 - 1946||Rev H. McNeil Saunders|
|1945 -||Rev G. D. Whitney|
|1955 -||Rev A. W. Laurie|
|1963 -||Rev Alex C. Smith|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. The Centenary History of the Presbyterian Church in Queensland. Richard Bardon
2. Church website.