Glebe, NSW - St John's Bishopthorp Anglican
Year Built: 1868
Architect: Edmund Blacket
Last Updated: 26/02/2023
History and Architecture:
Built of Sandstone in Norman Romanesque style the church was designed Edmund Blackett, and was opened in 1857. It was opened by Bishop Barker on 21 December 1870.
The church was built in 1868-70 to the design of prominent architects Edmund Blacket and John Horbury Hunt, with the vestry and tower, both designed by Cyril Blacket, completed in the early twentieth century.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1856 - 1858||Rev William Macquarie Cowper||1810||1902|
|1886 - 1893||Rev Thomas Edward Mell||1840||1934|
|1980 - 1980||Rev Cedric Blake Thomas||1911||1987|
|2020 -||Rev Mark Wormell|
Forster & Andrews 1884. The organ was donated by Miss Betts of Glebe Point with the specification being drawn up by Edmund Blacket. It was opened by the Cathedral organist, Montegue Younger on 23rd July, 1885. The organ has survived for over a century without significant alteration and was restored by Pitchford & Garside in 1994.
2. The Australian Anglican Directory 2000
3. Cable Clergy Index