Glen Innes, NSW St Patrick's Catholic (10624)

Year Built: 1908

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Patrick

Address: 162 Meady Street, Glen Innes, New South Wales, 2370

Traditional Owners: Ngoorabul people

Last Updated: 01/06/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

In 1864 Dean Lynch laid the foundation stone for the church. The bluestone was supplied by supporter of Mr Regan, one Mr Patrick Dumphy who secured it from the area now dedicated as a park and adjoining the residence (at that time) of Mr J Priest.

The present Church was designed in the Gothic style. The plan consists of a nave 72 feet in length, by 35 feet in width, with a sanctuary and vestry, and baptistery under the tower. The roof of the nave and sanctuary are open timbered, carried on wood principals with cuspings etc., resting on some corbels, the whole being tied with iron king and tie rods, the rafters are lined with diagonal boarding varnished.

The contractor was Mr James Lonsdale of Glen Innes, and the whole work was carried out from the designs and under the supervision of Messrs Sheerin and Hennessy, architects of The City Chambers, 243 Pitt Street, Sydney.

The Church is built with dark facing bricks and stone dressings, the water tables of buttresses are finished with splayed bricks. There are two entrances in front and one in the tower, and one in north elevation, the two front entrances having columns with foliated caps and moulded bases, and arch mouldings finished in cement.

The front buttresses have gablets, panes and pinnacles, with foliated terminals.

A Memorial stone reads, " This memorial stone was solemnly blessed and laid by his Lord Bishop the Right Reverend Dr O'Connor Bishop of Armidale. 19th July 1908". 

Clergy:

There are currently no clergy recorded for this church. Submissions are welcomed.


Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Church website. More detail can be seen here.