Goodna, QLD - St Francis Xavier Catholic
Year Built: 1880
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Architect: Andrea Stombuco
Traditional Owners: Ugarapul people
Last Updated: 20/05/2023
History and Architecture:
The foundation stone for St Patrick's (as it was originally called) was laid on Sunday 15 August 1880 by Bishop of Brisbane James Quinn. The church was opened in Sunday 1 May 1881 by Bishop Quinn.
Local stone came from a nearby quarry, believed to be in Stuart Street with parishioners carting the stone to the site as voluntary work. The church was renovated and extended in 1915 by contractor J.C. Hobbs of Brisbane, to a design by R Coutts and Sons. The main change was construction of a new apse of brick and two side sacristies to connect the apse, an arch was cut in the stonework of the rear wall.
The name of the church was changed to St Francis Xavier in the 1920s, apparently to avoid confusion as so many churches were named St Patrick's.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|-||Rev Thomas Vincent Keating||1924||1941|
|2023 -||Father Vu Dinh Tuong|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. 2023 Karl Warkus photos