Grafton, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1914

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Mary

Address: 1 Victoria Street, Grafton, New South Wales,

Architect: Eaton & Bates

Architectural Style: Gothic

Traditional Owners: Bundjalung people

Last Updated: 21/02/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)


History and Architecture:

The Church was destroyed by fire on April 29, 1913. Opened by Bishop O'Connor, of Armidale on Sunday, November 29, 1914, in the presence of church hierarchy from as far afield as Melbourne. Built of red brick and stucco facing is very handsome in its Gothic design, large in size, length and breadth and in the usual cruciform shape. The front presents an advanced porch with marble steps and wide portals. On each side, lofty spire-tipped towers ascend, giving an imposing effect.

Clergy:

These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
- 1929 Father Daniel T. Lawton
2022 ? - Father Joe Holloway

Organ:

Built by British Pianoforte Depot Ltd, Sydney, 1914. Restored 1995 by Peter D.G. Jewkes Pty Ltd, Sydney. It was installed in the choir loft. The British Pianoforte Depot Ltd had commenced trading under this name in Sydney around 1891. A full description can be read here.

Source:

1. 2003 MDHC
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia
2. Daily Telegraph