Grenfell, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic (10252)

Year Built: 1906

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Joseph

Address: Weddin Street, Grenfell, New South Wales, 2810

Last Updated: 14/09/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

As early as 1838 when Yass was established as the first Ecclesiastical district in the interior of Australia, the whole area from Yass to Melbourne was served by a solitary dedicated priest.  The first of these was Fr Brennan followed in 1839 by Fr Lovatt and in 1847 by Fr Magennis.

In July 1884 Grenfell and Gooloogong were cut off from Young and formed into a separate parish.  The new Grenfell Parish adjoined Young and stretched almost to lake Cargelligo.

The Foundation stone was laid on 27 May 1906 by the Bishop of Goulburn Reverend John Gallagher. The centenary of the church was held on 28 September 1984.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1838 - 1839 Father Brennan Locum
1839 - 1847 Father Lovatt Locum
1847 - Father Mangennis
1906 - Rev John Lane
2020 ? - Father Jiss Sunny


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. Church website