Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Francis Xavier

Address: 1 Cullavin Street, Gunning, New South Wales, 2581

Architect: Unknown

Last Updated: 07/05/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

‘A rubblestone Catholic Church was built in 1860 under the leadership of Rev. Michael McAlroy of Yass. A resident priest, Father Gaffey was appointed in 1880, which established the parish and served other village churches at Collector, Breadalbane and Gurrundah. The Sisters of Mercy arrived in 1901 to conduct a school. They erected a new convent in 1924, but with rural decline, the school closed in 1965. The convent, still surviving, was sold. In 1973 the old church was demolished, to be replaced by a modern brick church.’

The current church was erected in 1973. The Foundation stone was laid on 9 September 1973 by Archbishop Thomas V Cahill.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1880 - Father Gaffey 1914


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. ‘Our Story - Catholic Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn’.