Hagley, TAS St Mary's Anglican (8043)
Year Built: 1862
Address: Church Lane, Hagley, Tasmania, 7292
Last Updated: 02/07/2021
History and Architecture:
St Mary's Anglican Church is a bluestone Gothic Revival building that opened for services in 1862. The lands and a significant part of the church's funds were donated by Sir Richard Dry and later by his wife in her will..
Anglican services were first held in Hagley in a small brick church in the village which was the combined gift of Mr (late Sire Richard Dry) and the Lyttleton family, of Hagley House. This church, opened in 1848 was the first building in Hagley. While in England on a health trip form 1858 to 1860 Mr Dry commissioned Mr R C Carpenter a famous London Architect to prepare plans for a new church. The architect was Henry Hunter, working on plans drawn by Mr H. C. Carpenter, of London.
In 1932 the original plan for the church was finally completed with the tower, spire and vestry being built and consecrated.
Archdeacon A R Beresford was absent for a number of years during his tenure and several Reverends filled his position while he was away.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1858 - 1879||Rev Canon H O Irwin M.A.|
|1879 - 1882||Rev Edward Patten Adams||1832||1894|
|1894 - 1906||Rev C J Brammall|
|1895 - 1900||Rev Frederick Burnett Sharland|
|1901 - 1905||Rev Leigh Trafford Tarleton||1859||1926|
|1907 - 1928||Archdeacon A R Beresford|
|1909 -||Rev Richard O'Brenznen Ball||Curate||1872||1916|
|1912 - 1915||Rev E G Muschamp||Locum|
|1915 - 1920||Rev Thomas Smith||Locum||1877||1963|
|1920 - 1921||Rev Clement Allen||Locum||1871||1945|
|1921 - 1922||Rev C L Cox||Locum|
|1922 - 1924||Canon W Hooker||Locum|
|1928 - 1929||Rev Harry Sheperd||Curate||1903||1969|
|1928 - 1940||Rev Henry Brune Atkinson||1874||1960|
|1933 - 1934||Rev Harry Sheperd||1903||1969|
|1958 - 1963||Rev J J Cramp|
|1940 - 1955||Rev B S Hammond|
|1955 - 1958||Rev Canon F J McCabe|
|1963 - 1972||Rev R A Ezzy|
|1972 - 1975||Rev Canon Gilbert Charles Latta||1907||1976|
|1975 - 1981||Rev H H Condon M.A.|
|1981 - 1986||Father K A Webster|
|1987 - 1992||Father R I Maxwell|
|1992 -||Father P Astley Bogg|
|2020 -||Rev J M Pyecroft|
The Organ was built in 1861 by J.W. Walker, of London.
1. St Mary's Church Hagley History on the Church and notes on the Founder. Compiled by E.G. Scott, Hagley 14th Edition. LSC P 283.94616 STM
2. Anglican Church Directory 2000.
3. Cable Clerical Index