Hampton, VIC - St Mary's Catholic (20981)

Year Built: 1925

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Mary

Address: 59 Holyrood Street, Hampton, Victoria, 3188

Last Updated: 30/01/2022

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

In 1924 the Sandringham parish priest, Father Mangan, bought land for this purpose at a cost of £2,000. The land Father Mangan had to purchase was part of the Margarita Estate, approximately 20 acres of land stretching from South Road to Holyrood Street. Dr Henry Backhaus, a priest who had moved to the area from Bendigo upon his retirement and had died in 1882, had left the "estate, which included a house called Villa La Trobe, to the Melbourne archdiocese for the use of retired priests.

A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone was laid by The Most Reverend D Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne on 2nd November 1924, Rev W.B. Mangan M.A. Pastor". The project cost approximately £3,600 to build.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1924 - Pastor W. B. Mangan 1960
1926 - 1939 Father Dan Coakley 1973
1939 - 1959 Father Dan Daly 1981
1959 - 1965 Father Edward Nowlan 1990
1965 - 1969 Father Bernard Payne 1990
1969 - 1970 Father Jeffries
1970 - 1972 Father Vincent Curran 1917 2010
1972 - 1982 Father James Griffin 1991
1982 - 1993 Father Robert Nink 1999
1993 - 1994 Father Kevin Burke
1994 - 1995 Father Timothy Tolan 1954 2008
1996 - 2012 Father Michael Mile
2012 - Father Anjou Soares

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

 

Source:

1. Church website.
2. Growing up Catholic a history of St Mary's Hampton 1924 - 2004. Catherine Waterhouse. SLT 282.9451 W29G