Hawthorn, VIC - Christ Church Anglican (21007)
Year Built: 1853
Last Updated: 18/11/2021
History and Architecture:
A bluestone Gothic church erected in 1853-4 to the design of Charles Vickers, this is one of the earliest surviving substantial suburban churches in Melbourne. Further additions were made in 1873 (chancel and temporary organ chamber) and in 1886 (extension of nave and addition of north transept).
The Foundation stone was laid 19th November 1853 by his Excellency Charles Joseph La Trobe Lieutenant Governor of Victoria. A further foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid on 22nd November 1953 by the Archbishop of Melbourne the Most Rev J.J. Booth M.C. B.A. D.D. to commemorate the Centenary of this Church , the Foundation stone which was laid on 19th November 1853 by Charles La Trobe Governor of Victoria. Vicar J.V. Glason Churchwardens CR JB Pridmore M.B.E JP, GT Webb M. COM. Major HE Nicholson Hon Architect George H Alsop ARIBA FRAIA".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1855 - 1888||Rev William Wood||1819||1891|
|1865 -||Rev Matthew Henry Martin||Curate||1834||1873|
|1879 - 1880||Rev Henry John Wilkinson||Locum||1836||1907|
|1882 - 1883||Rev Edward Alphonso Thomas||1848||1903|
|1883 -||Rev Herbert Edward Taylor||1848||1924|
|1883 -||Rev Thomas Henry Armstrong||1857||1930|
|1888 - 1918||Rev Herbert Edward Taylor||1848||1924|
|1891 - 1892||Rev Frank Cyril Anderson||Curate||1868||1916|
|1895 -||Rev Charles Elliott Perry||Curate||1871||1937|
|1895 -||Rev Frank Cyril Anderson||Curate||1868||1916|
|1906 -||Rev William Watson Laidlay||Curate||1873||1942|
|1906 - 1908||Rev George Alfred Morphett Cerutty||Curate||1876||1943|
|1908 - 1909||Rev Arthur Montgomery Capper||Curate||1883||1953|
|1918 -||Rev Herbert Stanley Hollow||1873||1938|
|1952 - 1959||Rev John Vance Gason||1908||1997|
|1963 - 1971||Rev Kenneth Williams Prentice||1912||1999|
|2011 -||Rev Andrew Dircks|
The first organ was built in 1855 by J.W. Walker, of London and the current organ, was built in 1876 by Alfred Hunter, of London and restored in 1968.
1. City of Boroondara local history.
2. Cable Clergy Index.