Healesville, VIC - St Bridget's Catholic (20072)
Year Built: 1899
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Last Updated: 12/09/2021
History and Architecture:
November 1899 saw the first new parish mission established in Healesville by Reverend Patrick Gleeson who had arrived in Melbourne from Ireland on September 9. He had already served at West Melbourne, Mansfield, Castlemaine and St Kilda East before arriving in Healesville.
At the turn of the 20th century St Bridget's Hall on the corner of High and Symons Streets was used as the first church. This was later moved to Grandview Crescent.
The Foundation stone was laid by the Most Reverend T. J. Carr D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne on 17 December 1910. Mr H. C. Hansen was the builder and the total cost was 900.00. The Church consists of 4 bays with a temporary rear wall.
The Notre Dame de Sion nuns were introduced to Healesville around 1910. They were replaced by the Mercy Sisters of Lilydale who by 1913 had questioned the need for two establishments so close together.*
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1899 - 1910||Father Patrick Gleeson||1942|
|1910 - 1919||Father Henry Baker|
|1919 - 1927||Father Kennedy|
|1927 - 1941||Father J. M Coyne||1966|
|1941 - 1961||Father James Murphy||1999|
|1961 - 1982||Father Joseph W Kelly||1989|
|1982 - 1995||Father Gerard Loughnan|
|1995 -||Father Robert Coghlan|
|2020 ? -||Father Arsenio Tuazon|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
Valleys Mist and Mountains. St Bridget's Parish Healesville Centenary 1999. Bernie Morrissey