Heidelberg, VIC - Scots Uniting
Year Built: 1901
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 15/07/2022
History and Architecture:
Formerly a Presbyterian Church the first services were held at the invitation of Mr Alexander Duncan father of the late Mrs Geo Smith of Bulleen, in a barn in Bulleen Road. The first church was located in Jika Street opposite the current Police Station and the land was purched by the then Reverend Gunn. The building was of brick and cemented over and was erected in 1845 and lasted until 1901.
The current Church was erected in 1901 after plans by Messrs Blackett and Rankin Architects were submitted. The tender was let to Mr J.A. Bennell at a cost of 1,101. Built of brick in the Early English Gothic style, it was opened on 14 April 1901.
The new Scots' church building, which is being erected in Burgundy street, Heidelberg, will be completed in the beginning of April 1901; and it has been decided to open it on Sunday, 14th of that month. There will be special opening services. In the morning the Rev. Professor Harper, M.A., B D, will preach, and in the evening the Rev. G. M. Macdonald, M.A., B Sc, will fill the pulpit**.
The cedar seats for the church were donated by Mr James Thomas Donaldson who had purchased them some years earlier from the Chalmers Church East Melbourne.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1843 -||Rev J. Forbes|
|1843 - 1845||Rev P. Gunn|
|1853 -||Rev D. McDonald|
|1853 - 1869||Rev D. Boyd|
|1869 - 1897||Rev D. Fraser|
|1898 - 1902||Rev G. M. Macdonald|
|1902 - 1907||Rev S. Byron|
|1907 - 1925||Rev A. Hardie|
|1925 - 1934||Rev D. S. Jones|
|1934 - 1951||Rev C. Harland|
|1952 - 1962||Rev J. W.P. Gillan|
|1962 -||Rev D. W. Matthews|
The organ was built in 1929 by the Aeolian Company, New York.