Hobart, TAS - St David's Anglican Cathedral (7038)
Year Built: 1868
Last Updated: 15/12/2021
History and Architecture:
On 17 January 1862 St David's Cathedral and land on the corner of Murray and Macquarie Streets, Hobart was granted by the Crown to the Trustees of the Diocese of Tasmania.
The original church on this site is dated from 1817. The Church was named in memory of Governor David Collins who established Hobart in 1804. It was completed in 1823 and the steeple replaced in 1835. With the appointment of Bishop Nixon in 1842, St David's church became a cathedral. In 1865 Bishop Bromby advocated building a new cathedral and in 1868 Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh laid the foundation stone. Henry Hunter was appointed supervising architect and the building contractor was James Gregory. The nave was consecrated in 1874 and the bishop led a procession from the old St David's church next door into the new cathedral, after which the old church was demolished. The chancel, completed in 1893, was rebuilt in 1909 due to structural problems.
A stone Gothic Revival Cathedral by noted English architect George Frederick Bodley and built over 68 year period. The Foundation stone was laid on 8 January 1868 by HRH Prince Alfred the Duke of Edinburgh in the presence of Governor Thomas Gore Browne, Premier Sir Richard Dry.
Plans prepared by Bodley and sent from England in 1866. Plans were modified in 1867 and this is the second church on this site.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1872 - 1874||Rev Frederick Holdship Cox|
|1877 - 1884||Rev Henry Bodley Bromby|
|1878 - 1879||Canon Edward Patten Adams||Honorary||1832||1894|
|1885 - 1896||Rev C. L Dundas|
|1889 - 1891||Rev Thomas Ghent||Asst Curate||1862||1951|
|1897 - 1916||Rev J. B. Kite|
|1911 - 1911||Rev Edwin Allison||Asst||1851||1916|
|1916 - 1919||Rev R S Hay|
|1920 - 1940||Rev Arthur Richard Rivers||1857||1940|
|1942 - 1958||Rev Harold Percy Fewtrell||1888||1969|
|1957 - 1957||Rev Kenneth Nash Reardon||Asst C HT||2017|
|1959 - 1971||Rev E. M Webber|
|1972 - 1980||Rev Harlin Jones Butterley|
|1980 - 1983||Rev J. L Parsons|
|1984 - 1992||Dean Kenneth Nash Reardon|
|1993 -||Rev S E. Blackler|
Built in 1858 by Bishop & Starr of London.
1. Churches of Colonial Hobart. A field guide to Hobart's history of 24 buildings
2. Anglican Church Dircectory 2000.
3. Anglican Clergymen in South Australia in the Nineteenth Century. T.T. Reed.
4. Cable Clergy Index