Hobart, TAS - Wesley Uniting

Year Built: 1837

Denomination: Uniting

Address: 56 Melville Street, Hobart, Hobart, Tasmania, 7000

Previous Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Palawa people

Last Updated: 22/07/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

On 29 October 1820 a Class meeting was held under the sponsorship of laymen Benjamin Nokes and George Waddy. The continuity of Wesleyan Methodism in Hobart is dated from this occasion. On 12th February 1821 the first meeting in the Argyle Street chapel was held. This building was a rented carpenter's shop owned by one Charles Donn. The numbers grew to such an extent that enlargement was deemed necessary. The chapel was situated on an allotment of land bounded on the north-east by Argyle Street and on the south-east by the Hobart Rivulet.

The land was donated by prominent Hobart merchant David Lord. Lack of funds slowed construction and the chapel opened in 1826.

The Foundation stone was laid on 27 December 1837 by Sir John Franklin Governor of Hobart. Originally a Chapel, construction began in 1822 and was completed in 1826, making it the second oldest Methodist Chapel in Australia.

The chapel, which had been commenced in January 1822, was still not completed due to a cessation of work caused by lack of funds. The Lieutenant-Governor, George Arthur, offered assistance and work subsequently recommenced on a modified plan towards the close of 1824.

The land for the church was purchased with funds from the sale of an earlier land grant given by Governor Arthur. The land was donated by prominent Hobart merchant David Lord. Lack of funds slowed construction and the chapel opened in 1826. The work being done by the Wesleyans and their followers among the convicts. The church is the foremost of the Nonconformist churches in Hobart. It represents a distinct period of early colonial architecture. The foundation stone was laid in 1837 and at the opening in 1840 it was named the Centenary Church. The chapel next door became the Sunday School. 

Construction of the Church began in 1837. Designed and built by Henry Chapman, it was used for the first time in 1840.

During 1911 the interior was re modelled. The pulpit and choir stalls were replaced by the current ones.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1948 - 1949 Rev Alfred William Redvers Milligan M 1901 1991


First organ was installed in 1879 by George Fincham. It was rebuilt in 1936 & enlarged in 1939. For a complete history click here.


1. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index
2. Churches of Colonial Hobart, a field guide to Hobart's history in 24 huildings.