Ivanhoe, VIC - Knox Presbyterian (Former)
Year Built: 1927
Last Updated: 14/01/2022
History and Architecture:
Originally a Presbyterian Church and later a Uniting Church. Prior to the construction of the Knox Presbyterian Church services were held by the Rev. Alex Hardie. in the Old State School, Ivanhoe, in the Old State School during March 1908. Rev. Hardie had been inducted to Heidelberg in September 1907. In April 1908, a Presbyterian school hall was commenced in Ivanhoe Parade which was shifted to Noel Street in 1917
A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by R.W. Thomson Esq on 15 October 1927 "In this Place I will give peace". R.M. and M King Architects Rev P Forster Minister. The Builder was Mr W Hannah.
Prior to the construction of the first Church, services were held by the Rev. Alex Hardie in the Old State School, Ivanhoe, during March 1908. In April 1908, a Presbyterian school hall was commenced in Ivanhoe Parade which was shifted to Noel Street in 1917. Benefactors of the new building were Robert W. Thomson and Robert Kennedy who also assisted with the construction of the new church in front of it in 1927.
The first church was built in 1908 at a cost of £512. The current Church was built and opened in April 1938 at a cost of £6,000.
Now part of the Ivanhoe Girls Grammar School visual Arts department.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1908 - 1910||Rev A. Hardie|
|1911 - 1918||Rev J. M. James||1918|
|1919 - 1922||Rev R. W. Rock||1925|
|1923 -||Rev J. G. Stirling||Locum|
|1924 - 1925||Rev R. W. Rock||1925|
|1925 - 1938||Rev P. L. Forster|
|1939 - 1944||Rev C. R. Andrews|
|1944 - 1953||Rev W. L. Simpson|
|1954 - 1958||Rev D. Drennan|
The builders Wolff, Rendall and Dodd built the first Organ where it was later rebuilt by Fincham & Sons.
1. Knox Presbyterian Church Noel Street Ivanhoe 50 Years Jubilee 1908 - 1958. LTP 285.29451 K776K
2. Banyule Heritage Places Study.