Johnsonville, VIC - Uniting (22054)
Traditional Owners: Gunaikurnai people
Last Updated: 27/06/2022
History and Architecture:
Home Missioners and Reverends served out of Lakes Entrance for Johnsonville.
Early Methodist records suggest Methodist Services were commenced in the Johnsonville Congregational Church as early as 1920. The opening Service was attended by 20 people and the Offering was thirteen shillings ninepence. The charge for the use of the building was one shilling for each day-time Service and sixpence for an evening, and two and sixpence for concerts and socials. By 1930 the charge was increased to two shillings per Service.
The Congregational Church ceased to use the building by 1944 and it was purchased by the Methodist Church in 1961 when Pastor W. Mitchell (Mrs. Hilda Fisher's father) was the hardworking Missionary in charge. The building needed extensive renovation which was achieved by working-bees, and the Lakes Entrance Ladies' Guild, which included several Johnsonville ladies, donated £200 towards the cost.
The Johnsonville Methodist congregation, along with Swan Reach, Nungurner and Kalimna West were pioneered by Home Missioners resident at Lakes Entrance and formed part of the Lakes Entrance Home Mission Station. Johnsonville has continued to be administered from Lakes Entrance until the present time.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1920 -||Mr A. Bligh||M|
|1921 -||Mr Whalley||M|
|1921 -||Mr Hart||M|
|1921 -||Mr Slater||M|
|1921 -||Mr Hackett||M|
|1922 - 1924||Mr J. J. Roberts||M|
|1924 - 1926||Mr E. C. Perkins||M|
|1926 - 1928||Mr P. Hunter||M|
|1928 - 1929||Mr C. B. Nance Kivell||M|
|1929 - 1930||Mr J. P. Corley Butler||M|
|1930 - 1931||Mr J. E. Warfe||M|
|1931 - 1932||Rev R. G. Arthur||M|
|1932 - 1933||Rev N. Hinde||M|
|1933 - 1934||Rev E. Baker||M|
|1934 - 1935||Mr H. L. Hallet||M|
|1935 - 1936||Mr J. W. Savage||M|
|1936 - 1937||Mr J. W. Westerman||M|
|1937 - 1938||Mr R. M. Sholl||M|
|1938 - 1939||Mr W. D. Kennedy||M|
|1939 - 1942||Mr J. Hardwood||M|
|1942 - 1944||Mr K. Pickworth||M|
|1942 - 1944||Mr F. B. Cavalier||M|
|1944 - 1945||Mr V. R. Heazelwood||M|
|1945 - 1946||Mr J. D. Lutge||M|
|1946 - 1947||Mr R. G. Hoatson||M|
|1947 - 1948||Mr V. R. Heazlewood||M|
|1948 - 1952||Mr A. M. Popple||M|
|1952 - 1953||Mr A. Hoggett||M|
|1953 - 1954||Mr F. G. Savage||M|
|1954 - 1964||Mr W. H. Michell||M|
|1964 - 1969||Mr T. Y. Perry||M|
|1969 - 1976||Rev W. A. Brumley||M|
|1976 -||Pastor G. Eldridge||M|
|1977 - 1979||Pastor J. Vicars||U|
|1979 - 1983||Rev T. Waters||U|
|1983 - 1987||Rev K. Howden||U|
|1987 - 1992||Rev W. Boal||U|
|1992 -||Mr C. Thompson||U|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. One Hundred Years of Christian Worship at Johnsonville 1892 - 1992 John Goff. ISBN 0646118374