Kew East, VIC - Uniting
Year Built: 1938
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 09/07/2023
History and Architecture:
The Church was originally called St Andrews but eventually known as the Finlay McQueen Memorial Church. The early history of this Church was intensely bound up with the Revered Finlay McQueen and his family.
In August, 1926, a block of land in Normanby Road adjoining another property was purchased for £350, by way of £10 deposit with the balance in three years at five percent.
The foundation stone for the new Finlay McQueen Memorial Presbyterian Church was laid by the Moderator General, the Right Reverend Dr John Mackenzie, at a ceremony in September 1938 which was attended by around 300 church members.
A time capsule was sealed underneath foundation stone. The church was expected to cost £2000 (Argus, 5 September 1938:6; Age, 5 September 1938:17). The opening of the new church by the Reverend Wilson Macaulay in March 1939 was preceded by a farewell service in the old church held by Malcolm McQueen, son of the Reverend Finlay McQueen, who by this time had himself become the minister at East Kew.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1875 -||Rev David S. Maxwell||P|
|1925 - 1930||Rev Finlay McQueen||P|
|1930 - 1937||Rev A. Morton Collins||P|
|1945 - 1952||Rev Alexander A. Bell||P|
|1952 - 1969||Rev Gavin Fairservice||P|
|1970 -||Rev Hamish Christie Johnston||P|
|2020 -||Rev Bronwyn Daniels||U|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. East Kew Presbyterian Church (Finlay McQueen Memorial) Brief History 1925 - 1975. STL 285.29451 FIFT.
2. Church website.