Kiama, NSW - Scot's Presbyterian
Architect: Thomas Rowe
Traditional Owners: Wodi Wodi people
Last Updated: 15/04/2023
History and Architecture:
A heritage-listed church it was designed by Thomas Rowe and built from 1860 to 1863 by builders Moon & Simmons and carpenters Walker Bros. The Church has a slate roof, the internal walls plastered with a stone paved floor, timber trussed ceiling with hammer beam iron tier. All joinery is cedar.
Sandstone was used in its construction and was a gift from the Robb family on whose estate at Riversdale near the Minnamurra River it was quarried. Basalt for the foundations and inner walls came from Mr Carson's quarry in Kiama.
The Church sold a parcel of land for the rail line extension on the condition the Authority compensate with a Church steeple.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1876 - 1879||Rev John Wilson|
|1890 - 1905||Rev John Burgess|
|1906 - 1908||Dr Northcroft Merrington|
|1908 - 1910||Rev James Malcolm||1910|
|1910 - 1913||Rev Thoma Alexander|
|1913 - 1916||Mr Alexander Tullock Yuille|
|1916 - 1942||Rev George Montgomery Torbett||1942|
|1943 - 1948||Rev Henry Hugh Childs||1951|
|1948 - 1952||Rev James Mullan|
|1953 - 1957||Rev Alex Fraser Meldrum||1970|
|1958 - 1969||Rev Malcolm Donald MacLeod||2012|
|1971 - 1984||Rev David Ernest Hawkins|
|1989 -||Rev George Ivan Alexander Newell|
|1990 -||Rev George Smyth Uhr|
|1992 - 1995||Rev Alex Constantine Cozadinos|
|2001 -||Rev Noel Creighton|
The Organ was built in 1907 by Charles Richardson. It was restored in 1962 by J.W. Walker & Sons (Aust), 2m., 8 sp.st., 4c., tr.
For a full description click here.
1. Reyerson Index.
2. Out of the wilderness: a history of the Presbyterian Church in Illawarra.
3. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.