Kilmore, VIC - St Andrew's Presyterian (Former)
Year Built: 1864
Last Updated: 24/05/2023
History and Architecture:
The earlier records of this congregation have been lost, but apparently services were held at irregular intervals in the old Mechanics' Hall. These services were conducted by Mr. Donald McInnes.At the first Annual Meeting of the congregation held in October, 1852, the erection of a Free Church in Kilmore was unanimously agreed to, and Mr. Robert Allan was asked to prepare plans and specifications. The site chosen was on the east side of the town. The foundation stone was laid in December, 1852, and in September, 1853, the completed Church was opened for Public Worship by the Rev. William Miller, of Knox's Church, Melbourne.
The current Church was built of bluestone standing on the western side of the town, was built in 1864 by those who went out from the parent Church at the time of the Rev. Andrew Maxwell's induction. It was known as St. Andrew's Church. In the previous year a Building Committee had been formed and a subscription list opened. The members of the congregation subscribed so liberally that in a few months the architect, Mr. Fleury, was asked to prepare plans. The first plans submitted were rejected as being too expensive.
On April 22, 1864, plans were again submitted to the managers and approved. Tenders were called for. The successful tenderer being Mr. James Proudfoot, senior. The following were members of the Building Committee:—Messrs. Reay Clarke, John McKenzie, Alexander Murray, John Murray, John Howden (senr.), and Henry Wilson. In 1865 the Church was opened for Public Worship.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|- 1851||Rev James Forbes||1851|
|1851 - 1855||Rev Hume||1855|
|1856 -||Rev A. Maxwell||1866|
|1862 - 1862||Rev William Mitchell|
|1863 - 1866||Rev Donald Macrae|
|- 1872||Rev Meiklejohn|
|1873 -||Rev Andrew Hardie|
|1878 - 1880||Rev D. S. Maxwell|
|1880 - 1904||Rev John Steele||1904|
|1904 - 1907||Rev Alexander Hardie|
|1907 - 1911||Rev C. A. Hunter|
|1911 - 1917||Rev William Agnew|
|1917 - 1921||Rev A. H. Tolhurst|
|1921 - 1925||Rev Alexander McLeod|
|1925 -||Rev R. C. Fraser|
1. Historical Sketch of the Presbyterian Church of Kilmore 1851 - 1926. LTP 285.294531 H55H