Kilmore, VIC - Uniting (former)
Year Built: 1858
Previous Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Architect: Crouch & Wilson
Traditional Owners: Taungurung people
Last Updated: 26/06/2023
History and Architecture:
The foundation stone was laid on 20th October, 1858 by Rev. D.J. Draper, secretary of the Australasian Wesleyan Conference and Chairman of the Victoria District. The Rev John Newton was minister in charge. The architects were Crouch and Wilson and the contractor, a Mr Wood. The church was opened in early 1859, with the "Kilmore Examiner" (3rd February, 1S59)stating that the rear part was of brick to allow for enlargement.
A coursed basalt rubble church, designed after the early English Parish Church manner. Dressings and quoined architraves are of freestone these include a gabled belfry at the roof gable apex, a scrolled parapet capping and caps to the angle buttresses. The design is undistinguished, although the building is near to original
This church was sold around 2012.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1858 -||Rev John Newton||WM|
|1896 -||Rev Henry C. Oldmeadow||WM|
|1926 - 1929||Rev Harold E. Walsh||M|
|1931 - 1934||Rev L. S. Shears Saunders||M|
|1950 - 1954||Rev Keith B. Leigh||M|
|1954 - 1958||Rev Deryck L. Rowe||M|
|1958 - 1961||Rev John E. Blacker||M|
|1961 -||Rev Donald A. Forrest||M|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Methodist Church of Australasia Ministerial Index.
2. Kilmore Heritage Study 1982