Latrobe, TAS - Baptist
Year Built: 1892
Address: 125 Gilbert Street, Latrobe, Tasmania, 7307
Traditional Owners: Punnilerpanner people
Last Updated: 03/12/2022
History and Architecture:
The work of the Baptist Union was commenced at Latrobe on December 19, 1886, when Pastor Wood of Longford introduced Mr. H. G. Blackie.
Extract from first Minute book. On March 28, 1887, a meeting was held in the Oddfellow Hall when the Church of the baptised believers in Latrobe was formed by Launceston. There were 1 Rev A. Bird of members, including Mr. H. G. Blackie who became a Pastor. Meetings were held in the Oddfellows Hall. On October 14, 1891 the "North Coast Standard" quoted "During the last few years, several buildings styled 'Tabernacles' have been erected in this colony. Now Latrobe is to have one. In 1891 their devotion was rewarded with the construction of a Baptist Tabernacle, the latest in a production line of ‘Gibson Tabernacles’.
The building consists of the church proper, which will comfortably seat 250 worshippers, with a large vestry at the rear that is divisible into two smaller ones.
The foundation stone was laid on Sunday 18 October 1891.
For further historical background click here.
These Pastors and Reverends also served at Sassafras
|1886 - 1888||Pastor H G. Blackie|
|1888 - 1889||Rev A Hyde|
|1890 - 1894||Pastor John Chamberlain|
|1895 - 1899||Pastor H Wood|
|1901 - 1905||Pastor J Walton|
|1905 - 1911||Rev C Palmer|
|1911 - 1913||Pastor H Saunders|
|1914 - 1917||Pastor E. J. Telfer|
|1918 - 1930||Pastor V. G. Britton|
|1917 -||Sister Dupe||Asst|
|1918 - 1919||Pastor R Tunks||Asst|
|1919 - 1920||Pastor J. C Salter||Asst|
|1923 -||Pastor Wesley Bligh||Asst||1906||1993|
|1924 -||Pastor Ron H McHugh||Asst|
|1927 -||Pastor Gordon Nibbs||Asst|
|1930 - 1931||Pastor F Barns|
|1931 - 1938||Pastor McIntosh Brown|
|1939 - 1941||Pastor Robert Steele|
|1942 - 1943||Pastor L Von Bibra|
|1943 - 1946||Pastor Ken Finger|
|1946 - 1951||Pastor S H. Bath|
|1951 - 1955||Pastor Rex A Clifford|
|1956 - 1960||Pastor Alex White||2005|
|1961 - 1969||Pastor N. J. Amos|
|1970 -||Pastor F. W. Lloyd||Moderator|
|1970 - 1973||Pastor Rex A Clifford|
|1973 - 1976||Pastor W. T Sonners||2011|
|1977 -||Pastor A. H Hawley||Interim||1984|
|1977 -||Pastor N. J. Amos||Interim|
|1978 - 1981||Pastor W. A. Ellery Dyer|
|1981 - 1984||Pastor K Pritchard|
|1984 -||Pastor Don Cameron|
|1989 - 1995||Rev Dan Rough||Locum|
|2012 -||Pastor Ralph Terry|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Latrobe Museum. Centenary 1887 - 1987 Latrobe Baptist Church
2. Prints from the past The Latrobe Community Story.