Launceston, TAS - Baptist
Address: 11 Frederick Street, Launceston, Tasmania, 7250
Previous Denomination: Congregational
Last Updated: 03/12/2022
History and Architecture:
A Gothic-Revival designed church built of red brick to the design of Melbourne Architect Granger & D’Ebro in 1883-5. It replaced an earlier chapel (St John's-now Milton Hall next door).
External details are Gothic with turrets, buttresses, and pointed label moulded windows. It has a side tower supporting an octagonal spire with pinacles on four corners. The interior is eclectic, and has a profusion of stained glass.
Foundation stone was laid on 8 March 1883. The opening service was held in October of 1885.
In 1885 Christ Church Congregational Church grew out of the St. John’s Square Chapel next door which was renamed Milton Hall. The organ was moved into the church. Between 1913 and 1916 Milton Hall was one of the campuses of what was to become Launceston College.
In 1975 Christ Church Congregational Church joined with Chalmer’s Presbyterian Church and Paterson Street Methodist Church to become Pilgrim Uniting Church and in 1983 Central Baptist Church bought the Christ Church Congregational Church and Milton Hall buildings and became Christ Church Baptist Church.
For more information click here for the church website.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|2020 ? -||Pastor Jeff McKinnon|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
2. Church website.