Lavington, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian
Last Updated: 27/02/2023
History and Architecture:
Reverand Peter Gunn of the Gaelic Church Melbourne first visited Albury and it was he who laid the foundations of the church. He had already visited and baptised at Kilmore, Seymour, Longwood, Benalla, Wangaratta and Albury.
The first mention of the Albury - Lavington area was made St David's Kirk Chronicle September 1936 where it says "Our experiment in brining our children from north Albury and Lavington has proved successful." A request was made to commence services at Lavinton. Rev H.J. Hillman conducted a service on the 4th Sunday of the month in 1937 with a small congregation.
The name of the Church was changed from St Andrew's Presbyterian Church to Albury Presbyterian Church in 2010. Church planting activities since 2010 has resulted in a network of four churches up to 2020.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1952 - 1954||Deacon Winifred Hilliard|
|1955 - 1956||Mr Alan Mortimer|
|1956 - 1957||Mr M. McBride|
|1957 - 1959||Mr James C. Cox|
|1959 - 1961||Mr Gerard Packer Wood|
|1961 - 1965||Rev Leslie Martin|
|1966 - 1969||Rev C. E. Bowles|
|1970 - 1978||Rev Ian Davidson|
|1978 - 1979||Mr W. Porter Young|
|1980 - 1986||Rev Gary Fintelman|
|1987 - 1997||Rev Donald Geddies|
|1998 - 2009||Rev Bruce Gorton|
|2006 - Present||Pastor David Powell|
|2010 - Present||Pastor Paul Sheely|
|2013 - Present||Pastor Mike Wong|
|2018 - Present||Pastor David Hayes|
1. Anthony Johnston 2022 with additional names.
St Andrews Presbyterian Church Albury 1947 - 1997 H285.29448SAI