Light Pass, SA - Straight Gate Lutheran

Year Built: 1860 & 1960

Denomination: Lutheran

Address: Light Pass Road, Light Pass, South Australia, 5355

Architect: Eric von Schramek

Traditional Owners: Peramangk people

Last Updated: 26/04/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger


History and Architecture:

This church was formed by a breakaway group in 1860 from the Immanuel Light Pass Lutheran Church. This church is just 200m from the Immanuel Church. Their first church was dedicated in 1861.

A new church replaced the original church and the foundation stone of that church was laid on 14 August 1960. The Tower was erected in 1887 and was retained as part of the new Church.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1900 - 1930 Pastor J. J. Stolz IS & UELSA
1930 - 1936 Pastor P. H. Hass UELCA
1936 - 1966 Pastor R. B. Reuther UELCA
1967 - 1977 Pastor V. F.H. Wenke LCA
1978 - 1995 Pastor C. H. Zweck LCA
1995 - 2000 Pastor T. J. Rudolph LCA
2001 - 2008 Pastor R. W. Whittall LCA
2010 - 2017 Pastor R. H.K. Lungwitz LCA
2019 - Pastor D. J.A. Martin LCA
2020 - Pastor M.D. Ker LCA

Organ:

The Organ was built in 1925 by J.E. Dodd. It had 1 manual, 7 speaking stops, 1 coupler, tracker Man (all divided): 16.8.8.8.4.2. Ped:16. Alterations were made in c.1977 by J.E. Dodd & Sons Gunstar Organ Works. Man : (all divided) 8.8.8.4.2 II-III. Ped:16.
For a complete description and photos click here.

Contributions:

1. 2024 Simon Saunders for ref to Architect

Source:

1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.
2. ‘Reminiscences: Eric von Schramek and his churches’, Compiled by Helen Gordon, FOLA Inc. ISBN 9780958025751
3. Lutheran Archives with permission.