Longford, TAS - Christ Church Anglican (8041)
Year Built: 1842
Last Updated: 16/04/2021
History and Architecture:
The Church was built by Captain Edward Dumaresq with Government assistance as a school cum chapel in 1841-2. The chancel was added in 1888 and the church was consecrated in February that year. Mr Dumaresq gave the land and the ironstone and freestone church to the Diocese. In 1905 a new chancel was added at a cost of £350 and dedicated in February 1910. In 1958 the church was restored. Tom Roberts, the painter, is buried in the cemetery.
A plaque on the access gate reads, " To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Caroline Dumaresq and her daughter Mary". Tom Roberts grave is included in the Church grounds.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1876 - 1878||Rev Thomas Watson|
|1878 - 1890||Rev Arthur Wayn|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. The Anglican Church in Tasmania A Diocesan history to mark the Sequicentenary 1992 by Geoffrey Stephens.