Loxton, SA - St Peter's Lutheran (30376)

Year Built: 1925

Denomination: Lutheran

Saint: James

Address: 1B Falcon Ave,, Loxton, South Australia, 5031

Last Updated: 03/01/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The Church was first set up in 1897 by E.J.P. Kaesler before the town of Loxton was formally planned. It originally met for worship in the houses of John Drabsch of Loxton and A Stanitzki of Bookpurnong.

In 1904, a stone church measuring 40ft x 20ft x 14ft (12.2m x 6.1m x 4.27m) at a cost of 180.00 having a seating capacity of 150 was erected. It is still used as a Hall today. The Manse was built in 1910.

On 24 November 24 1924 work began on a new Church which eventually cost 5,705.00. Local limestone was used. The Foundation Stone was laid in January 1925. On Sunday, March 7th, 1926 the Church was opened to an audience of 2,000 people.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1882 - 1884 Rev F. R Coghlan BA
1884 - 1889 Rev F. T Whitington
1889 - 1891 Rev B C Stephenson BA
1892 - 1900 Rev J. G. Pitcher
1900 - 1902 Rector P Wise MA
1902 - 1903 Rector H J. Edwards
1903 - 1905 Rector Sydney John Bloyd 1867 1941
1905 - 1909 Rector S. S. Moncrieff
1909 - 1920 Rector Walter Franz Wehrstedt BA
1921 - 1957 Rector C. J. Whitfield Th. L
1957 - 1964 Rector L. E Renfrey BA
1957 - 1964 Rector D M Sutherland BA
1964 - 1967 Rev A. J. Taylor Th. Dip
1972 - 1978 Rev P C Hunter Th. L
1978 - 1986 Rev Ralph William Holden Th. L 1934
1986 - Rev D J. Williams

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.