Malvern, VIC - St George's Anglican (20568)

Year Built: 1857

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: George

Address: 296 Glenferrie Road, Malvern, Victoria, 3144

Last Updated: 09/01/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

In 1857 the local committee representing the Church of England acquired an acre of land in Glenferrie Road (the northern half of this site is occupied by the parish hall), and built a school room, which in 1858 was licensed for Church services. The priest in charge was the Reverend Henry Liddiard, who also had charge of the district of Oakleigh. The first recorded meeting of the Malvern Church Committee is dated 10 July 1861. Because the land to the south of the school block had been reserved for a police barracks, the Committee in 1865 bought a piece of land to the north-about one and a half acres-for 67.13s.

The foundation stone of the church was laid on 30 November 1865 by Sir William Stawell, Chief Justice of the Colony.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1857 - Rev Henry Liddiard
1880 - Rev Charles Godby
1910 - 1916 Rev Charles Dalton
1916 - Rev Josiah Tyssen
1949 - 1956 Rev Francis Townsend
1956 - 1960 Rev Robert William Dann 1914 2008
1970 - Rev George Lucas OAM
1978 - 1980 Rev David Rodney Head Asst C 1951
1980 - 1982 Rev Christopher Cariston Seton Asst C
1985 - 1989 Rev Alan Baxter
1989 - 1994 Rev Andrew Curnow
1990 - 1992 Rev Joanne Margaret Hall Asst C 1957
1994 - Rev Barry Smith OAM
2007 - Rev Colleen O'Reilly

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.