Marrickville, NSW - St Brigit's Catholic (10059)

Year Built: 1887

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Brigit

Address: 153 Livingstone Road, Marrickville, New South Wales, 2204

Last Updated: 04/01/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The Passionists came to Australia in 1887 at the invitation of Cardinal Moran, the Archbishop of Sydney. He separated the present parish of St. Brigid's from the parish of Newtown. They originally occupied a small house on the corner of Fletcher St and Petersham Rd.

The foundation stone of the Church was laid in October 1887 in Despointes St and the church opened a few months later.

By the early 1900's the population growth in Marrickville made it important to look to a new Church. The growth of the Passionists Congregation also demanded a larger residence there were 13 priests and five students by the 1890's.

This new site was acquired by the Passionist Fathers in 1915. The foundation stone of the church was laid in 1918, and the building opened in 1921. A boys' school was opened on the adjoining site in 1932. Mr Brennan of Brennan's Stores in Newtown bought the property on behalf of the Passionist Fathers for 17,500.

The foundation stone of this new church was laid in 1918. The Church, without the faade or bell tower was opened in 1921. In the 1950's the faade and bell tower were added under the direction of Fr. Lawrence.

The church is dominated by the tall rough rendered facade of the church and its square tower. The multi-parapeted side aisles and all of the openings are detailed with rock faced sandstone. The three storey monastery adjoining the church continues the principal detaling but generally has flat rather than semi-circular openings.

Around 1998 plans were drawn up to renovate and refurbish the monastery. The present buildings allow for residential accommodation for the Passionist Community, offices for Province administration, offices for parish administration.

Clergy:

There are currently no clergy recorded for this church. Submissions are welcomed.


Organ:

The organ was built in 1865 by Henry Bryceson of London for an unknown location in England and was later installed in ''Bomerah", residence of the brothers McQuade, Potts Point. It was moved in 1921 to St. Brigid's where it was rebuilt by S.T. Noad & Son in 1957. The instrument was originally operated by tracker action.