Marrickville, NSW - Roseby Memorial Uniting
Year Built: 1871
Previous Denomination: Congregational
Last Updated: 03/08/2021
History and Architecture:
The Church was built between 1871 and 1890 and is named after Dr. Roseby MA, LLD FRAS, a notable Congregational preacher and scientist who was minister for 23 years from 1888. The foundation stone was laid n 1871.
Built of Rockfaced sandstone with Gothic detailing, the pointed arches, butresses and strings are detailed with smooth cut stone.
The 1883 extension has similar detailing and includes a corner tower with a timber framed bell tower and metal clad spire. A brick hall was constructed in 1887 and enlarged in 1889 & 1928.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1871 - 1872||Rev A. A. Aspinall||C|
|1872 - 1879||Rev Walter Mathson||C|
|1879 - 1882||Rev R. N. Spence||C|
|1882 - 1888||Rev Robert Dee D.D.||C|
|1888 - 1911||Rev Thomas Roseby M.A.||C|
|1911 - 1921||Rev Fred Priest||C|
|1921 - 1925||Rev G. J. Leese||C|
|1926 - 1927||Rev G. P. Bray||C|
|1927 - 1928||Rev L. H. Perdriau||C||1879||1971|
|1928 - 1932||Rev Frederick Vicary Pratt M.A.||C||1932|
|1933 - 1946||Rev Harold Weir||C|
|1946 - 1949||Rev C. A. Hibbard B.A.||C||1915||1994|
|1949 - 1951||Rev E. G. Ewen||C|
|1952 - 1953||Rev W. G. Sands||C|
|1953 - 1958||Rev R. A. Bowden Lth||C|
|1958 - 1966||Rev C. F. McLean Lth||C|
|1966 - 1967||Rev M. H. Hutton||U|
|1968 -||Rev Robert Emery B.D.||U|
|1983 - 1988||Rev Rex Matthews||U|
|1989 - 1999||Rev Russell Davies||U|
|2010 -||Rev Hoffmann||U|
The first organ was built around 1865 by local builders John Kinloch, for St. Andrew's Scots Church, Sydney, and was moved to Roseby Church in 1884. In 1971 it was sold to St. Paul's Anglican Church, Rose Bay, subsequently being restored by Pitchford & Garside and being moved to St Andrew's Cathedral and then to St Mark's, Figtree where it remains.
The present organ was built by C.J. Jackson for the Congregational Church in Glebe and was opened in January 1881.
1. Roseby Memorial Church Marrickville 1871 - 1971. Mr L. P. Phillips