Maryborough, QLD - St Stephen's Uniting
Year Built: 1881
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Architect: Benjamin Joseph Backhouse
Traditional Owners: Gubbi Gubbi, Batjala people
Last Updated: 01/06/2023
History and Architecture:
The first Presbyterian services were held in Maryborough in 1863, following a meeting held on 16th February 1863 at the court house. The foundation stone for the new Presbyterian church was laid on 8th October 1880 and the church was opened on 20th November 1881 and is now known as St. Stephen’s Uniting Church where the Maryborough Congregation regularly meets. The church was built at an approximate cost of £4400.
The style of architecture is Gothic, though not strictly so in some of the minor details.
The main building is 84 feet long, with an internal breadth of 40 feet. A most attractive feature of the interior is the gradual fall in the floor, two feet in the whole length, the object of which is to afford every occupant of the church a full view of the pulpit.
A plaque on the gate post reads, "Erected in memory of Roberts and Jessie Hart by their children 1927. A further plaque on the opposite gate post reads, "Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1863 - 1864||Rev G. M. Reed||P|
|1864 - 1865||Rev George Graham||P|
|1867 - 1909||Rev J. Irvine Knipe||P|
|1901 - 1902||Rev J. Scott Macdonald||Ass|
|1909 - 1920||Rev I. C. Kirkpatrick||P|
|1921 - 1922||Rev W. H. Smith||P|
|1923 - 1929||Rev W. H. Waters||P|
|1929 - 1936||Rev G. S. Brodie||P|
|1936 - 1950||Rev James McPhail||P|
|1951 - 1955||Rev M. W. Roberts||P|
|1955 - 1962||Rev K. N.R. Innes||P|
|1962 -||Rev N. T. Barker||P|
|2022 ? -||Rev Delma Lovell||U|
The instrument was named the 'Melville Memorial Organ', commemorating "the liberality of Miss Janet Melville and other members of the family. The Organ was built by Alex Young & Sons of Manchester in 1890. It was installed in 1891 and has 2 manuals, 20 speaking stops, mechanical action. Additions were made in 1939 by Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane. Electrified with pedal additions in 1966 by H.W. Jarrott of Brisbane. 2 manuals, 24 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action.
A full description can be read here.
1. Church Website.
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission..
3. The Centenary History of the Presbyterian Church in Queensland. Richard Bardon 1949.
4. A Century of Achievment 1863 - 1963 St Stephen's Presbyterian Church Maryborogh QLD 285.2943SAI C1