McLaren Vale, SA - St Paul's Lutheran
Year Built: 1934
Traditional Owners: Kaurna people
Last Updated: 24/01/2023
History and Architecture:
The present Lutheran congregation had its beginnings a few kilometres away at Willunga, in a railway cottage the home of the Constable family. Services were quarterly with the first happening on 10 June 1934. The adhoc nature of services continued up to and including the duration of WW2 as did the support of visiting Pastors.
A block of land in Aldersey Street was secured for 460.00 around 1960 with the local RSL offering another block by tender for 1500.00. The architect for the new church building was Mr Dracup and building commenced in 1963. The Foundation stone was laid on 25 August 1963.
After 28 years of work the church was opened on 1 December 1963. The cost of construction was 6,400.00. A suggestion that individuals pay for a pew at 54.00 each was readily accepted and this kept costs down even further.
A hall, Sunday school room and toilets were added in 1977.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1963 - 1964||Pastor Peter Henry Mattiske||ELCA||1927||2001|
|1965 - 1966||Pastor F. E. Schafranek||ELCA|
|1967 - 1968||Pastor J. P.T. Sabel||LCA|
|1969 - 1971||Pastor Leslie Willam Auricht||LCA||2018|
|1972 - 1981||Pastor G. E. Fischer||LCA||2003|
|1981 - 1988||Pastor K M. Scholz||LCA|
|1988 - 1994||Pastor R. L. Schultz||LCA|
|1995 - 1997||Pastor N. A. Hampel||LCA|
|1999 -||Pastor Hupfield||LCA|
|2011 -||Pastor Garry Hodgson||LCA|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Lutheran Archives SA.