Millicent, SA - St Andrew's Presbyterian
Last Updated: 11/10/2020
History and Architecture:
Early services were conducted by Rev Cadwell who rode or drove from Mt Gambier. A meeting was held in the home of the late Mr A Campbell on January 8 1878 when the gathering was presided over by Rev Cadwell.
During this year it was decided to purchase land on which to build a Presbyterian Church and Messrs John McArthur, Samuel Stuckey Adam Telfer and James McRostie as trustees bought the present property for £40.00.
The Foundation stone was laid by Mrs S.J. Stuckey on September 15 1880 and the church was opened on March 13 1881.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1878 -||Rev Caldwell|
|1891 - 1895||Rev John Garde|
|1898 - 1903||Rev John Davies|
|1904 - 1906||Rev R. Nairn|
|1908 - 1912||Rev Geo Martin|
|1912 - 1922||Rev D. Chapman|
|1922 - 1926||Rev J. A. Pawson|
|1927 - 1932||Rev A. D. Brodie|
|1933 - 1936||Rev A. M. Dickie|
|1937 - 1943||Rev K C. Billinge|
|1945 - 1948||Rev W. G. Cowley|
|1948 - 1953||Rev M. S. Padman|
|1954 - 1956||Rev D. Morey|
|1955 - 1961||Rev D. V. Morey|
|1962 - 1965||Rev K Fox|
|1965 - 1969||Rev J. McFall|
|1971 -||Rev R. Robinson|
In 1956 Mrs A Varcoe donated a beautiful Piped Organ to St Andrews. It was dedicated on June 10 when a special service was conducted by the Minister Rev D Morey.
1. St Andrews Presbyterian Church Millicent SA. 1878 - 1978 Centenary Souvenir. SA 285.2942346 S134, 1978.