Minlaton, SA - St Andrew's Lutheran
Year Built: 1958
Architect: Gilbert Walker
Traditional Owners: Adjahdura people
Last Updated: 24/01/2023
History and Architecture:
The first records of Lutheran services were recorded on the York Peninsula in the 1870's. In 1882 a Mr Johann Golthilf Bothe moved in to the area and built a Lutheran church on his property which was several miles north of the cemetery. Prior to this, services were held in several private homes including Schwarz's Farm. By March 19 1882 the church was dedicated.
When the Bothe family moved to Victoria services continued to be held in private homes and also at the Mt Rat Wells Church of England church.
There were two arms of Lutherans in Minlaton. The Trinity Congregation ELCA which held services in the Baptist church until 1949. The St Peters congregation UELCA was formed in 1957.
By 1955 the Trinity congregation decided to build a church. With the St Peters ULCA joining forces with the Trinity group a combined group was formed in in 1957.
The Foundation stone of a new church was laid on 2 March 1958. The Architect was Mr Gilbert Walker of Adelaide who designed a New England style church 58 x 27 at a cost of 6,500.00. This design had its origins in the US. A Hall was opened on 30 April 1978.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1947 - 1948||Pastor F. W. Noack||ELCA|
|1948 - 1953||Pastor H. C. Mattiske||ELCA|
|1953 - 1960||Pastor T. P. Harms||ELCA|
|1960 - 1965||Pastor E. R. Blaess||ELCA|
|1965 - 1966||Pastor A. P.H. Freund||ELCA|
|1967 - 1972||Pastor V. H. Schubert||LCA|
|1972 - 1978||Pastor J. N.L. Luhrs||LCA|
|1979 - 1987||Pastor P. G. Welke||LCA|
|1987 - 1992||Pastor T. C. Koch||LCA|
|1993 -||Pastor W. P. Heidrich||LCA|
|2011 -||Pastor Stephen Jaensch||LCA|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Lutheran Archives SA