Montrose, TAS - St Paul's Anglican (7016)
Year Built: 1870
Last Updated: 23/09/2021
History and Architecture:
The land for the church was first purchased in 1834 after a discrepancy over the land where the church was to be built. The Foundation stone was laid on 22 June 1869 by Charles De Cane Esq Governor of Tasmania and the consecration service took place on 22 June 1870.
Francis Butler designed the complete building and superintended the first stage of construction, the nave of the church as it stands at present. His drawings and the complete correspondence associated with his work are still preserved in the church's records. Butler, a pillar of the Glenorchy Church, whose memory is preserved in the two memorial windows in the west wall of the church.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1846 - 1848||Rev John Yarker|
|1848 - 1865||Rev William Robert Bennett||1865|
|1865 - 1867||Rev Henry B Bromby|
|1867 - 1868||Rev Lloyd C Williams|
|1868 - 1869||Rev Henry D Atkinson|
|1869 - 1873||Rev Edward Symonds|
|1873 - 1877||Rev John C Mace|
|1877 -||Rev Chas Andrew|
|1877 - 1878||Rev John Gray|
|1878 - 1879||Rev G Guncell|
|1879 - 1888||Rev Thomas McDowell|
|1888 - 1908||Rev H. Heincken Marten||1841||1928|
|1908 - 1924||Rev Walter J Dodson|
|1924 - 1929||Archdeacon Robert Henry Richard||1869||1929|
|1929 - 1936||Rev Frank Leonard Wyman||1893||1958|
|1936 - 1948||Rev Leonard Arthur Burgess||1981|
|1949 - 1959||Rev Lancelot Frederic Benjafield||1902||1985|
|1959 - 1976||Rev Trevor Ernest Doyle|
|1976 -||Rev Charles Derwent Fehre|
|2012 - 2019||Rev Ross Ellwood|
|2020 -||Rev Jacob Crane|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Serving God in Glenorchy. An History of the Church of England Parish of Glenorchy and associated districts. 1869 - 1969. 283.099461
2. Cable Clerical Index
3. St Paul's Anglican Church Glenorchy 1969 - 1995. LSC P 283.94662 ALL