Mount Gambier, SA - St Martin's Lutheran
Last Updated: 31/01/2023
History and Architecture:
The Lutheran Church first had a presence in Mount Gambier in the 1800s when a pastor rode by horseback from Hamilton, Victoria to baptise people.
Later in that century the church developed two parishes in Mount Gambier. One parish established a church, school and manse in the town's eastern area in 1859.
In 1862, a prominent doctor, Dr Wehl, persuaded a Pastor Kappler to come to the town from Adelaide. A block of land was offered to construct and church and residence. The church was named St Martins and despite some alterations over the years, the original building remains standing today on the corner of Edward and Bertha Streets.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1859 - 1879||Pastor C. W. Schuermann||ELCA|
|1860 - 1877||Pastor A. Kappler||IM|
|1878 - 1923||Pastor Frederich Wilhelm Matschoss||IM||1939|
|1880 - 1885||Pastor J. E. Hansen||ELCA|
|1885 - 1901||Pastor C. F.A. Strempel||ELCA|
|1915 - 1946||Pastor J. F.M. Hansen||ELCA|
|1923 - 1926||Pastor J. C. Auricht||IM|
|1926 - 1961||Pastor E F.W. Sprengel||IM|
|1946 - 1951||Pastor E C.V. Makenzie||ELCA|
|1951 - 1954||Pastor Noel Eric Weiss||ELCA||1929||2013|
|1955 - 1960||Pastor C. H. Zweck||ELCA||2009|
|1960 - 1965||Pastor H. C. Mattiske||ELCA|
|1961 - 1974||Pastor F. Kummerow||IM|
|1965 - 1966||Pastor W. K. Harms||ELCA|
|1967 - 1968||Pastor F. Kummerow||LCA|
|1974 - 1981||Pastor B. F. Bartholomaeus||LCA|
|1982 - 1986||Pastor L Spike||LCA|
|1986 - 1988||Pastor B. G. Klein||LCA|
|1999 -||Pastor J. G. O'Keefe||LCA|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Lutheran Archives SA
2. ABC News website.