Mt Eliza, VIC - St James the Less Anglican (20805)
Year Built: 1865
Last Updated: 17/04/2021
History and Architecture:
The Church was designed by William Grover. Constructed in brick, and painted white, on stone foundations, in the Norman style, it includes a short nave, porch and chancel, added in 1913. The first service was held in 1866 by the Rev Thomas Abraham, the vicar at Mornington.
The site was given by a Captain Edward Lintott. A committee was formed, money raised, and an architect appointed. Clay for the bricks came from the site of Peninsula School. A Foundation stone on the first church reads, " To the glory of God this Memorial stone was laid by Mrs Sarah Sumner on March 15 1913, David Stewart builder James A Wood Architect".
In 2000, the church and the altar paintings were heritage listed. The church’s stained glass window was designed by Leonard French.
The 0. T. Gibson Window is situated at the porch end Windows of the North wall, and was the first of four stained glass windows erected in the Church in recenthee years. It depicts a decorated cross and was given in memory of late Oswald James Gibson who died 2nd August, 1954.
The J. O. Watt Window is the centre window on the North wall and is a memorial to the late James Oswald Watt, a master printer, Tower Road, and who was very well who lived for many years in Town known and respected in the community. This colourful window, like the one in the porch, is also from the Orval Studio and both demonstrate the modern trend in the making of leaded windows. Formerly, colour was applied to clear glass and later fused into its surface by the application of heat whereas some of the glass in this window and in the St. James window shows that colour is in-corporated into the glass during the course of its manufacture. The subject of this window is "The Good Samaritan".
The Next Tablet is a simple memorial commemorating a well known parishioner and benefactress and reads: To the Glory of God and in memory of Beverley Rand Watt 1910 - 1961 "The memory of the Just is Blessed" The Canterbury Stones.
The new church has a foundation stone that reads, "This stone was laid by Archbishop Sir Frank Woods on 27 September 1986 AD".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1861 - 1869||Rev J Glover|
|1964 -||Rev Charles Miles|
|1869 -||Rev Thomas Abraham||1842||1907|
|1873 - 1875||Rev T Campbell|
|1970 - 1981||Rev Alexander Charles Hamilton Crigan||1922||2016|
|1875 - 1888||Rev T Quinton|
|1888 - 1889||Rev A Stackhouse|
|1889 - 1896||Rev B White|
|1896 - 1908||Rev J Wood|
|1908 - 1919||Rev S Sandiford|
|1919 - 1927||Rev G Aikin|
|1927 - 1936||Rev E E Gason|
|1936 - 1946||Rev H Watson|
|1946 - 1950||Rev F Ray|
|1950 - 1958||Rev G Hall|
|1958 - 1964||Rev A E Bellamy|
|1964 - 1970||Rev C R Miles|
|1970 -||Rev A H Crigan|
|2016 -||Rev Jennie Savage|
The organ was built in 1873 by George Fincham, Richmond.
For a full description visit https://ohta.org.au/
1. The story of the old Church, St James the Less Mt Eliza.