Murrumbateman, NSW - All Saints Anglican Soldiers Memorial
Year Built: 1918
Saint: All Saints
Address: Corner Rose & Hercules Streets, Murrumbateman, New South Wales, 2582
Traditional Owners: Ngunnawal & Wiradjuri people
Last Updated: 26/09/2022
History and Architecture:
The Foundation stone was laid on 17 November 1918 by Major General Parnell C.M.G. In memory of those killed in the Great War. The Architect was T.L. Thompson while the builder was D.L. Lawrence.
Before the building of the church a Union building was used and 1936 marked the half-century Of worship at Murrurnhatrman. This building was sold to the Presbyterian part owners for £100 which is held in trust by the churchwardens and the interest used for the upkeep of the Church. It was built in 1919 and consecrated On 27/4/1919. It is a well built structure of brick, comprising nave, chancel and sanctuary vestry, with roof of tiles. It was built mainly by the generosity of Mrs. G. Valiance and is known as All Saints Soldiers' Memorial Church, the foundation stone being laid by Brigadier-General Parnell. There is an honour roll in bronze to the memory of fallen soldiers.
The altar commemorates George Merriman, the alms dish Erie Ponton Gould, the sanctuary chair William and Mary Pateman, the prayer desk Susan and Alfred Greig, the lectern Reginald Grenfell Valiance, K.I.A., the credence table G. Rowland Valiance, and vases are in memory of Hugh Valiance.
In 1918, when the Church was built, residents of Murrumbateman arranged for trees to be planted around the churchyard, each labelled with the name of a Murrumbateman soldier who had been killed in WW1. By 2003, all the name tags were considerably degraded, so a local Murrumbateman resident, Donald Brodie of 'D'Accord', arranged to have all the names engraved on a single plaque, and attached to a rock beside the flagpole.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1838 -||Rev Robert Cartwright||1771||1856|
|1839 - 1859||Rev C. F. Brigstocke|
|1842 - 1843||Rev W. Lisle||Locum|
|1859 - 1860||Rev T. Kemmis||Locum|
|1860 - 1861||Rev E Synge|
|1861 - 1864||Rev T. Kemmis|
|1864 - 1872||Rev F. A.C. Lillington|
|1872 - 1874||Rev Samuel Sheridan Harpur||1810||1874|
|1874 - 1880||Rev William Henry Yarrington||1839||1922|
|1880 - 1906||Rev Alured Dodsworth Faunce||1840||1910|
|1906 - 1907||Rev W. Martin|
|1907 - 1909||Rev Henry Elleker Lewin||1868||1946|
|1909 - 1910||Rev Robert Penty||1857||1932|
|1910 - 1910||Rev F. B. Clive||1857||1919|
|1911 - 1914||Rev J. Pike|
|1914 - 1917||Rev George Eric Menlove||1880||1960|
|1917 - 1919||Rev Arthur George Rix||1880||1953|
|1919 - 1935||Rev William Meredith Holliday||1883||1964|
|1936 -||Rev D. Sherris||1968|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Margaret Clingan Wright with background on plaque with WW1 soldiers names.
1. History of the Diocese of Goulburn. Ransome T. Wyatt
2. Cable Clerical Index.