Murrumburrah, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Paul

Address: 120 Swift Street, Murrumburrah, New South Wales, 2587

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Gundungurra people

Last Updated: 16/12/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger


History and Architecture:

The foundation stone of St Paul's was laid in 1875, and the building was completed in 1876. It was only consecrated in 1884, once the debt incurred for the building of the church was fully paid off. The present sanctuary area of the church was added in 1892, and its roofing structure was replaced in 1922, at which time a number of new furnishings were added - the Prayer Desk, Pulpit and Eagle Lectern. The original pews from when the church opened in 1876 are still used for church services to this day.

Clergy:

These names are now in the database and can be searched individually

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1876 - 1876 Rev William Anderson
1877 - 1882 Rev William Cocks With Harden 1828 1895
1877 - 1877 Rev Thomas Donkin 1800 1890
1883 - 1888 Rev Thomas Watson 1841 1923
1888 - 1888 Rev John Brodie Armstrong Locum 1858 1937
1889 - 1890 Rev Walter Humphrey Lomer Kendall 1859 1896
1890 - 1891 Rev Thomas Druitt 1817 1891
1890 - 1892 Rev Augustus Rutherford Shaw Curate 1860 1936
1892 - 1899 Rev Herbert Edward Thompson 1839 1902
1899 - 1910 Rev Randolph John Ross Edwards 1853 1933
1906 - 1907 Rev William Harry Edwardes Locum 1862 1953
1911 - 1911 Rev Henry Fildes Hawkins Reader 1887 1960
1910 - 1916 Rev Walter Donald Kennedy 1869 1951
1912 - 1912 Rev John frederic Ashworth Curate 1882 1941
1916 - 1920 Rev Henry Claudius Crigan 1862 1936
1920 - 1932 Rev Charles Ernest Burgess 1865 1958
1933 - 1948 Rev Samuel North 1871 1963
1948 - 1952 Rev Guy Edward Julien 1912 1983
1952 - 1954 Rev William A.J. Brown
1954 - 1957 Rev Stephen W. Holmes
1957 - 1957 Rev Thomas Henry Pickburn 1906 1993
1957 - 1961 Rev James George Donoghue 1907 1961
1965 - 1973 Rev Stephen Percy Waters 1908 2013
1973 - 1973 Rev John Andrew Shaw 1913 1973
1973 - 1980 Rev Gerald Farleigh
1980 - 1983 Rev K C. McCollim
1983 - 1987 Rev Robert David Silberman
1987 - 1990 Rev Christopher J. Elliott
1992 - 1998 Rev Keith Groundwater
1998 - 2008 Rev Consuela Gerrity
2008 - 2014 Rev Beth Dimmick
2015 - Rev David Rajasekaram

Organ:

  No other information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Contributions:

1. 2023 Rev David Rajasekaram with additional names and dates of service including ref to Foundation stone sourced from the below publications.

Ref :

  • The history of the building is taken from the article "A brief history of St Paul's, Murrumburrah" by Rev. Don Jamieson (honorary deacon in the parish). His article cites Ransome T Wyatt's 1937 book History of the Diocese of Goulburn, and work done by local historian the late Mr Richard Littlejohn.
  • The past incumbents' names and length of tenure are listed in Kevin Stone & Charles Body (eds), Deep and Lasting Foundations: Parishes of the Anglican Diocese of Canberra & Goulburn (Canberra: Barton Books Australia, 2013), p. 220.

Source:

1. Cable Clerical Index with permission.