Muswellbrook, NSW - St James Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: James

Address: 65 Brook Street, Muswellbrook, New South Wales, 2333

Architect: James Hicks

Architectural Style: Gothic

Traditional Owners: Wonnarua Wanaruah people

Last Updated: 22/02/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

In 1861 the first Church was opened on this site. A branch of the Singleton Convent of Mercy was established there in the 1880s and a convent and church from this period survive. The first St James was replaced by the present church in 1912. It was built by D. Jordan of Muswellbrook and designed by James Hicks, the local architect. The stonework was carried out by W Armitage using stone obtained from the quarry reserves and from private property seven miles from town on the Singleton Road.

The former Presbytery was built by Martin Rasmussen in 1896 as his residence.

The present church is of Gothic style with a slate roof and terra cotta ridge capping. A fish-scale lead spire which originally topped the square tower has been replaced by a smaller more slender version, clad with smooth metal.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
2022 - Father Victor Babu Doss


The organ was built in Sydney in 1908 by Ernest Ladegast, a Belgian who served his apprenticeship with the famous French organ builder Cavile-Col. Rebuilt and enlarged in 1975 by Micheal O'Day.


1. Muswellbrook Heritage Study 1996