Nagambie, VIC - St John's Anglican (20094)
Year Built: 1883
Last Updated: 19/08/2021
History and Architecture:
St. John's Church was commenced in 1883, opened for worship on the 8th April 1883, and consecreated in 1887. Services had been conducted in Nagambie as early as 1874 in the Mechanics Institute and also in the home of Mrs Way.
The Church was built in a red brick with two curious features of the building being the non alignment of the two arches of the sanctuary and a floor which slopes from the west door to the sanctuary.
The sanctuary stained glass window shows symbols of Christian worship, while in the nave can be seen a representation of Queen Victoria, and the "Light of the World." scripture texts painted on the walls.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1879 - 1880||Rev Charles John Godby||1850||1919|
|1889 - 1898||Rev Thomas Moorhouse||1849||1928|
|1892 -||Mr Edward George Higgin||Reader||1861||1934|
|1896 -||Mr Thomas May||Reader||1874||1955|
|1898 - 1903||Rev Frederick William Willcock||1859||1905|
|1939 - 1941||Rev Albert Thomas Hope||1888||1961|
|1941 - 1942||Rev Harold Alfred Graham||1914||1979|
|1958 - 1960||Rev Colin Joseph Coish|
|1960 - 1966||Rev Ambrose Donald May||1908||1966|
|1992 -||Rev Steven Ross Salmon||Asst PiC|
|1993 - 1994||Rev D. D. McMillan||Asst|
|1999 -||Rev John Peter Stewart||PiC|
|2019 -||Rev Richard Pennington|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. The Church website
2. Parish Churches Diocese of Wangaratta. NE 283.9455/GIB