New Norfolk, TAS - St Matthew's Anglican (8087)

Year Built: 1823

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Matthew

Address: 6 Bathurst Street, New Norfolk, Tasmania, 7140

Last Updated: 02/11/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (4 photos)

History and Architecture:

Construction of the church commenced in 1823 under the direction of the Colonial Architect David Lambe. Plans were prepared in 1870 for an impressive bell tower and clock for the church and one was designed by Molesworth Jeffrey of "Bournbank". he clock was never installed and was later installed in the Invalid Hospital.

The first Official service to be held in the church was in 1825. The Consecration service was conducted by Archdeacon Thomas Hobbes Scott of New South Wales on 13th of April 1828.

The Gothic styled Close was built in 1866 as a Parish Hall and Sunday School. It was deigned by Churchwarden William Coburn Sharland. A further extension was completed in 1881.

A petition by the Rector, Reverend John Oberlin Harris for the contruction of the Chancel 27ft wide and 12ft deep at the east end of the Church was submitted to the Bishop of Tasmania for his approval in 1894.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1825 - 1832 Rev Hugh Richard Robinson
1832 - 1847 Rev William Garrard
1847 - 1854 Ven Fitzherbert Adams Marriott
1854 - 1894 Rev William Wallace Murray
1855 - 1854 Rev John Benwell Seaman Asst
1877 - 1882 Rev Thomas Garrard Curate 1817 1892
1888 - 1900 Rev William Hevingham Root Asst
1894 - 1903 Rev John Oberlin Harris 1844 1922
1903 - 1904 Rev John William L'Oste Locum 1830 1926
1904 - 1911 Rev Robert Henry Richard
1910 - 1912 Rev Herbert Albion Sargison Asst
1911 - 1914 Canon Robert Jocelyn De Coetlogan 1862 1939
1912 - 1913 Rev Maxwell James Stephens Asst
1913 - 1914 Rev John Nicholas Phillips Asst
1913 - 1915 Rev George Simpson Carruthers Curate 1879 1949
1914 - 1918 Rev Frank Harold Surrige
1915 - 1916 Rev Lancelot Coulston Ferris Curate 1878 1946
1916 - Rev Willian John Davis Asst
1918 - 1930 Rev Henry Hudson Anderson 1858 1940
1931 - 1934 Rev Henry Charles Brammall 1871 1952
1935 - 1943 Rev Witt Gregson 1873 1954
1944 - 1958 Rev Joseph James Cramp Curate 1894 1970
1958 - 1964 Rev Mervyn Richard Stanton
1961 - 1962 Rev Malcolm Ross Little Asst
1964 - 1965 Rev Eric Lionel Phillips
1964 - 1966 Rev William Murray Harris Asst
1965 - 1971 Rev Malcolm Ross Little
1966 - 1967 Rev Rodney Ian Kellam Asst 2006
1967 - 1969 Capt L Keough Church Army Asst
1970 - Rev Alan Douglas Harvey Asst
1971 - 1973 Rev John Spencer Beaverstock
1973 - 1974 Rev Geoffrey Raymond Lennox 1935 2019
1974 - 1978 Rev Lindsay James Grimmett 1978
1978 - 1982 Rev Johannes Aldof Van Emmerick
1982 - 1990 Rev David Elliott Courtthorpe Lewis
1990 - 1996 Rev Roger George Hesleth
2019 - Rev Ken Shepherd
2019 - Rev Celia Hooker Asst

Organ:

Early references in Dorothy's book suggests the Church did have a Seraphim and a Harmonium.  Mr William Cowburn was appointed organist in 1894 and remained organist and choirmaster until 1903.

The current organ is a George Fincham and Son using open wooden diapason taken from the grand organ they installed for the 1880 - 1881 Melbourne Exhibition.

Extracts:

1. A glimpse into the history of St Matthew's Anglican Church, the Parish of New Norfolk Tasmania. Dorothy Robinson.
2. Cable Clergy Index.
3. The Ryerson Index