New Town, TAS - St John's Anglican (7022)
Year Built: 1834
Last Updated: 04/07/2022
History and Architecture:
The initiative for the erection of St John's Church, the oldest church still in use for worship at Hobart, was taken by the Lieutenant - Governor, Colonel George Arthur. He stated that he and other gentlemen would sunscribe towards the cost of the building. Built between 1834 and 1835 this neo Gothic church was designed by Colonial architect John Lee Archer and is the oldest church in the New Town area.
The foundation stone was laid by Lieutenant-Governor Arthur in January 1834. The convict-built Church was opened for service in December 1835 but was not formally consecrated until May 1838 because of delays in arranging a visit from Bishop Broughton, the first Bishop of Australia. The tower is of stone and the nave of hand made bricks. The wooden beams of the roof are of pit-sawn timber hauled down the sides of Mount Wellington by convicts.
The clock in the tower was made in 1828 by Thwaites and Reed of London.
The description on a silver plate attached to the Foundation stone reads, " Anno Quarto, Guiliemi IV R.Egis Georgius Arthur. AR.Miger Profectus Coloniae Hujus Primum Hujus Ecclesiae Lapidem Posuit Sexto Die Januarii Anno Domini MDCCCXXXIV Johannes Lee Archer Architecton".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1833 - 1835||Rev Philip Palmer|
|1835 - 1839||Rev Thomas Beagley Naylar|
|1839 - 1864||Rev Thomas James Ewing|
|1864 - 1867||Rev Frederick William Zuilter|
|1867 - 1876||Rev Francis Hudspeth|
|1876 - 1895||Rev Alfred Nathanial Mason|
|1893 -||Rev Arthur Cass||Locum||1837||1907|
|1895 - 1903||Rev Frederick Taylor Whittington|
|1903 - 1906||Rev William Henry Barnes|
|1906 - 1928||Rev Stephen Henry Hughes||1859||1934|
|1929 - 1944||Rev Clarence Hamilton Corvan||1879||1950|
|1941 - 1942||Rev Thomas Alfred Cloudsdale||Curate||1915||1968|
|1945 - 1962||Rev Harry Cecil Cutherbertson||1898||1964|
|1957 - 1962||Rev George John Baxter||1892||1960|
|1959 - 1961||Deacon Sidney Gordon Allison||Asst||1895||1977|
|1962 - 1972||Rev Gilbert Charles Latta||1907||1976|
|1964 - 1965||Rev R A. Legg||Asst|
|1968 - 1969||Rev W. A. Humphries|
|1972 - 1979||Rev Brian Harwood|
|1977 - 1979||Rev D E Le Rossignol|
|1979 - 1982||Rev Neville David Newett|
|1981 -||Rev Kenneth John Box||Asst||1945|
|1982 -||Rev Johannes Adalf van Emmerik|
|1993 - 1999||Rev Owen Dowlin|
|1994 - 1995||Rev A. J. Lang||Asst|
|2013 -||Rev Canon David Lewis|
The first organ was built by Gray & Davison of London. It had a Gothic case in stained and varnished oak, with gilt facade pipes. The present organ was built by Hill & Son, London.
1. Historic Churches of Australia T.T. Reed
2. The Australian Anglican Directory 2000
3. Parish of St John's New Town Aspects of History 1830 - 1994 283.099461 WAL